Center of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 1: Sea Legs (prologue)

5 posters

Go down

Chapter 1: Sea Legs (prologue) Empty Chapter 1: Sea Legs (prologue)

Post by Mosier Fri May 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Narcisse Lebeau's eyes narrow as he squints into the light reflecting from the glassy water. The Sun Crown, Couronne Solaire, his pride and loyal lover, is currently being swarmed by Africans and Englishmen as he stands helplessly at great distance. His instincts scream at him to draw his pistol and end the miserable life of the sweating, bestial Anglo guarding the ship, preventing its rightful owner from coming near. But what good would it do? The ship could not sail. Her rudder is held in place with great chains, too thick to destroy, and secured with a lock Lebeau does not have the key to.

The slaves and peasants are hard at work, repairing the damage the Sun Crown had suffered in its valiant battle against a Dutch warship and her crew. Lebeau had triumphed over the rabble, of course, but at what cost? The Dutch ramming maneuver had smashed into her hull, damaging the Sun Crown below the water line and inviting the cold sea into her cargo hold. The most incredible cargo Lebeau had captured in his career, five tons of pirated Spanish silver, were dumped overboard, lifting the ship and allowing the Sun Crown to limp to port here, in St. Kitts.

Most men would be ruined by such catastrophe. Lebeau's fortune was gone. His crew, sensing Lebeau's bankruptcy, had abandoned him nearly to a man. His ship was held in ransom by an Englishman, in an Anglo colony. But Lebeau is not most men. And neither is the Dutch sailor he has captured, Adriaan Brauwer, who might just be the key to sailing out of this disgusting place...

-

The party is all that remains of Narcisse Lebeau's "loyal" crew. A wealthy English merchant named Henry Albright has agreed to repair Lebeau's ship, the Couronne Solair for fifty Spanish doubloons. This value represents about 75 years of an average man's earnings. Lebeau and his crew can not pay this fee. However, Adriaan Brauwer's wealthy family may pay a hefty ransom for his safe return, and Adriaan himself is eager to cooperate, as he would be happy to steal some of his family's fortune.

Lebeau has sent a message to Brauwer's family in the Netherlands, offering the ransom. The Brauwer family's reply, including terms for the ransom, will be posted to a new game thread on Sunday, May 19, at or around 8pm PST. That will officially start your adventure. Feel free to use this prologue discussion thread as a chance to get to know each others' characters, discuss what Lebeau should include in his ransom note, and get comfortable with the style and format of this kind of game.

There are only two rules for how to role play your character. Rule 1 is that no player can force another player to do anything he doesn't want to do. This means that intimidation or influence rolls, mind control spells, or other similar effects are not allowed against other players, only against NPCs. Rule 2 is that your character's name should be the first thing you mention in each of your posts. This helps keep confusion to a minimum, as nobody will ever have to think, "wait, which character is player XYZ playing again?" As we all get more used to the game, this rule will be relaxed as it becomes more and more natural for each player to be associated with their specific character.

A warning: life is hard, dangerous, and usually short for adventurers in the Golden Age of Piracy. Death is a very real possibility, so don't take it too hard if lady luck sends your character to an early grave. Also, each character has their own agenda, which may not mesh perfectly with what the rest of the group wants. If another player character betrays your character, don't take it personally! We're all working together to create a compelling story, and nothing is more compelling than conflict.

Please do not post here in the prologue until after you post in the character bio thread.

I'll see you landlubbers again soon!

Mosier
Admin

https://mosierrpg.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1: Sea Legs (prologue) Empty Re: Chapter 1: Sea Legs (prologue)

Post by AClockworkMelon Fri May 17, 2013 11:09 pm

Narcisse's expression is as placid as the calm waters of Saint-Cristophe, but he grips the rail tight, knuckles colorless. He's murderous and in an effort to keep himself from coming apart at the seams he turns his back on the Couronne. He locks his gaze on Zander, bright blue eyes narrowing, and at length speaks, in Spanish. "What use are you if you can't stand up to any raft or rowboat that floats by?" His Spanish is functional but he maintains a thick accent. Zander could have abandoned him with the others but Narcisse's rage permits no gratitude. "I can imagine the news in Saint-Domingue: Cheveux D'or crippled by Dutch fishermen."

He crosses and uncrosses his arms uncomfortably before finally resting his left elbow on the pommel of his sword and his right hand on one of the pistols hanging from his belt. He continues in Spanish, "We need replacement crew ready as soon as payment has been made unless we plan to fight our way out. I leave the particulars to you."
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Sat May 18, 2013 3:39 am

Zander stands there at his Captain's side. The verbal abuse does not phase him. He has grown used to Narcisse's outbursts. Zander replies in Spanish, "Next time we fight the Dutch I will be sure to remind the captain they like to ram other vessels. I can fight men, however stopping an enemy ship? Sorry Boss..."

Winning an argument with Narcisse is impossible. Zander quits while he's ahead. "You know I'd rather fight then give the pricks a single coin. But again, you're the boss."
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Sat May 18, 2013 3:50 am

Narcisse's response in continued Spanish is measured. "I'd rather not pay that pig Albright," he pauses to spit at the mention of the merchant's name, "but we stand to pay more if it comes to a fight. Let's hope for our sake our captive's family pays what's owed. Our sake and his." The Frenchman looks to Brauwer. They couldn't risk bringing him into the colony in chains, but Narcisse has asked Itz to keep a careful eye on their new Dutch friend.
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunaticlucas Sat May 18, 2013 8:24 am

Itz just following orders, is keeping an eye on Brauwer or as the Captain calls him their new "Dutch Friend". Itz decides to practice his training forms with his sword. It's become a habit of his, whenever he has any time to kill Itz takes out his sword and flows through the forms.

"First the sun rises." Itz breathes in his native tongue as he lifts his sword over his head slowly.

"Then the Wind wales." his sword arcing through the air.

"The Fire blazes." Swinging his sword up towards the sky.

"The Sun finally sets." sheathing his sword.
Lunaticlucas
Lunaticlucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Sat May 18, 2013 8:30 am

Zander continues in Spanish, "We shouldn't make those decisions yet, we don't even know how much ransom money we'll score off that baffoon's family. We might not get enough to get your ship back and a crew to get her sailing again.... But if we can get close to Albright, a corpse cannot collect any payment..." He trails off. "But you're the boss, Boss."
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Sat May 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Narcisse waves a dismissive hand as he turns to face the ship. "They're English: They'll work for the promise of pay. Like I said, I leave their hiring to you."
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Sat May 18, 2013 2:28 pm

"Right then. Shall I start straight away? Or do you need me for something else?" Zander rereplies again in a heavy accented Spanish.
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Sat May 18, 2013 2:41 pm

"Just make sure they're reliable."
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Sat May 18, 2013 3:03 pm

Zander replies with a quick nod and goes on his way. He's never been to this port before (OOC:: at least I don't think he has) but he's been to many like it and will find his way... Eventually. He'll begin with taverns and spread the word that a magnificent ship will set sail soon and that it will need plenty of men to guide her to spoils. After the bars he will go to the docks themselves looking for more recruits.
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Sat May 18, 2013 3:20 pm

Before he leaves, Zander turns to Itz, "You can come with me for extra help, and bring the prisoner. Don't want to leave the filth with the Captain."
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunaticlucas Sat May 18, 2013 4:20 pm

"Let's go then." Itz replies as he finishes up hit workout.

"You best behave." Itz says towards Brauwer as he get the prisoner ready to head into town.
Lunaticlucas
Lunaticlucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Sat May 18, 2013 6:18 pm

"If he doesn't then I'll slaughter him and send his family the pieces." Zander adds, his hands falling to the pommels of both cutlasses hanging on either side of his belt.
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Sat May 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Narcisse stares at his ship in silence as the others make their way into town.
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by spckaufman Sat May 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Adriaan clearly frustrated by his being captive, “Let’s make this perfectly clear. You may think of me your prisoner but you had better do as I say or the only thing you’ll be getting is the change that falls outta my pockets when you’re kissin’ my bare ass!” “One wrong move from the lot of you and I'll yell to my family to slaughter you where you stand, oh and I ain't fraid to die either! "
spckaufman
spckaufman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Sat May 18, 2013 8:43 pm

"Famous last words of a dead man" Zander laughs heartily.
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Sat May 18, 2013 10:57 pm

Adriaan, Itz, and Zander leave the "Captain" behind, and explore the merchant section of St. Kitts.

Englishmen and Frenchmen have an uneasy coexistence here, as the colony has recently changed hands as the result of a treaty. The crew must make a choice. Will they visit a tavern that caters to Englishmen, or Frenchmen? The English are poor, and more of them will be willing to risk death and imprisonment for a share of loot. The French have much higher standards, and there are not likely many of them willing to join the crew. However, these men have a better reputation and will likely make better sailors and fighters (and demand a bigger cut of the loot!) then their English counterparts. Each side will feel betrayed, and will not work with you if you attempt to negotiate with the other side.

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Sat May 18, 2013 11:00 pm

We will go for the Englishmen. Narcisse may have a fit but the cheaper the labor the better. We will prey on the weak and desperate.
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Sun May 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Itz, Zander, and Adriaan soon find themselves in The Hanged Hero, a seedy and dimly lit tavern in a less than reputable part of the town. The three are seated around a table with a mountain of fat and muscle seated across from them.

"Me mates call me Pipsqueak. Twelve of us in Pip's Crew, the saltiest dogs in the Spanish main. You want us, you pay us fair and square; loot gets divided into shares. Your captain gets five, I get two, and everyone else gets one each, even if they die. They got families, too."

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunaticlucas Sun May 19, 2013 8:00 pm

"You want a full share for your men even if they die! I could understand a half share if they die but not a full one." Itz replies
Lunaticlucas
Lunaticlucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Sun May 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Zander turns to Itz, "A share to the family is fair. It'll be the last one they will ever get, no sense it shorting the family... As long as its actually going to the family." In English he says to Pip, "Fine but know what you're signing up for. Just because you get more shares then your men doesn't mean you get to slack off. We all pull our own weight and that goes the same for you. Also if we find that you are pocketing the money that is supposed to go to family, we will have problems. We set sail soon so be ready. The ship you'll be sailing in is called the Couronne Solaire and your new boss is Captain Narcisse Cheveux D'. He is French and proud. Ill see you when the Captain is ready to depart."

At the end of this Zander will leave unless Pip has something more to say. Zander will return and inform the Captain of his new crew.
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Sun May 19, 2013 11:10 pm

Pip agrees to set sail with Narcisse and the others in ten days. Hopefully, that's enough time to resolve Adriaan's ransom and pay the ship's repair debt.

The Brauwer family's reply to Lebeau's ransom demand will arrive soon. If there's any other business to attend to beforehand, now is the time. The expected arrival time for the first official game post has been changed to tomorrow evening, to give everyone a chance to finish putting the final touches on their characters. I'll see you there.

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spckaufman Mon May 20, 2013 4:35 am

"Listen, I don't expect you to be overly friendly with me, I did plow my ship into you!" Adriaan said and followed with a hearty laugh. "Your faces were priceless but I want this money as bad you all do. I promise that as long as you follow my instructions when it comes to handling my family, we will soon be rich!"

Your ships new crew bothers me not, as soon as this is over we'll be partin' ways! I just hope we are strong enough to carry the reward! HAHAHAHAHA!!
spckaufman
spckaufman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down